Did some googling and found out Skype is not allowed in India due to some technical issues so the N900 with Indian Firmware does not have it and will not install it.
At that time I was like wtf wer am i stayin .. :| .. I knew there was hope as I had read a lot about this phone.
Did some googling again found out the solution is to flash (format) the Nokia N900 to a Global Firmware which has the Skype Preinstalled and working..
After reading several tutorials and how to's and instructions over here at maemo http://wiki.maemo.org/
on how to flash http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware#Updating_.26_Flashing_your_device
I tried it out hoping that I wouldn't brick my new phone it worked and the best part is it didn't even took like more than 10 minutes to do the actual process
So here is the actual process for windows xp
(Disclaimer: Do it at your own risk and follow up to date instructions at http://wiki.maemo.org/ )
- Download Vanilla MMC Image that would be :RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin and rename it to mmc.bin
- Download Global Firmware PR 1.3 that would be: RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin and rename it to globalfw.bin
- Download Flasher 3.5 and install it and run it.
- Make Sure the Battery on your N900 is full and all of your data on it is backed up which means everything.
- Switch off the Phone.
- Hold the "u" button on the keyboard and connect the USB cable to the computer and then to phone while holding the button. If you have done it right a dim Nokia sign will appear on screen and a USB icon on the top right hand side of the screen.
- Now type in these commands in your flasher window :flasher-3.5.exe -F mmc.bin -f
- You will recieve confirmation for the mmc being flashed as Image(s) flashed successfully in 26.848 s (8982 kB/s)! on the flasher
- Now take unplug the USB power down or take out the battery and put it back in do not reboot(Restart) the N900 yet, connect it to the computer again while switched off by pressing the "u" key.
- Now to Flash the firmware enter this command:flasher-3.5.exe -F globalfw.bin -f
- When it is done you will recieve a confirmation on flash now switch on
And there you go ,We've got Skype on our phones pre-installed.